Remember me
You are here: HomeForumCyberix3D ForumGeneral Discussionspawning text
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Walking On a Sphere

Walking On a Sphere 7 years 9 months ago #489

Hi there, this is my first post.

I'm designing a game where characters/units walk around on the surface of a planet, and want to put together a simple test game where I can use either the up/down/left/right keys or click command an object which will travel around on the surface of a sphere. I figured out how to get an object to move about on a flat plane, but how would I use Cyberix3D to do this on the surface of a sphere?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Kind regards
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Walking On a Sphere 7 years 9 months ago #493

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 630
Hello and welcome to Cyberix3D,
About your question, We have made an example of a planet gravitation.
The ball will always move towards the center of the planet unless it escapes the gravitational force of the planet.
You can move the ball with the up,down,left,right keys but it is not finished.
It's not working perfectly but it's a good start.
Please tell us if it suits your needs.

Untitled_2016-07-23.jpg

www.gamemaker3d.com/player?pid=01616232

Regards,
Cyberix3D team
Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by cyberix3d.

Walking On a Sphere 7 years 9 months ago #511

Hi there!

That's very interesting, thank you putting that together. I seem to be able to control the camera but not the ball?

The ultimate aim is to build a system where people/units etc can walk around on the surface of a very large sphere, and the camera would be independent - a bit like what you've done, except camera movement would be very similar to google earth (zoom in/zoom out, rotate your view around planet - but unlike google earth there would be limitations at the poles to prevent you moving around the other side and turning the map upside down! You could always move up to and around the poles, but you wouldn't be able to pass straight over them.

Ideally the objects/people/units walking on the surface would be click controlled (like a point and click strategy game). This is the sort of thing I'd live to build as a prototype:

A sphere with a cylinder to represent a person/unit, which walks around the surface in any direction using click commands. Player can also use arrow keys and + and - to zoom and rotate the world (see images)

Screenshot2016-07-2912.01.47.png

Screenshot2016-07-2912.05.29.png

The kindest regards,

Ralph
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds