Remember me
You are here: HomeForumCyberix3D ForumGeneral Discussionoptimum text sizes and panel sizes
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: optimum text sizes and panel sizes

optimum text sizes and panel sizes 7 years 11 months ago #407

• HappyIntrovert
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I want my world to load with as little lag as possible. I want to hopefully clear up some confusion that I have about this while I am still in early stages of building my game. I am hoping some of you builders can help.

Texture size:

Though I do have GIMP and use it occasionally, I usually stick to Paint. It's fast easy and I get most of the results that I want from it.

From what I understand thus far is pictures sizes should be either 256 or 128 pixels in size. There are other numbers but I am horrible at math. LOL

I know 128 gives less quality but loads quicker (though I have read that there isn't much of a difference in loading time.) Is there?

Panel size:

By panel, I mean such as a small wall square used to duplicate to make a bigger wall. I have been using. 165X165, simply because it look approx. the right size. Is there an optimum size for panels? My panels have 0 thickness. They are just 2 sided thus no extra polygons.

Does it load slower if you use a big panel instead of a bunch of panels. It seems the wall made up of a bunch of panels would load slower than a big wall of the same size, but I have read the large wall loads slower.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

optimum text sizes and panel sizes 7 years 11 months ago #413

• HappyIntrovert
  • Junior Boarder
"The biggest cause of lag (besides tons of people in your place) is from the patterns. So always be sure that the patterns you use have a pixel size (height and width) that is a power of 2. What does this mean? It means that the pixel size of your texture should measure in one of these numbers: 2, 4, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc.

It doesn't matter if your pattern is square, it can be a rectangle and have sides of two different numbers, but you do want those numbers to be in powers of 2. For example: 128 x 256 pixel texture causes less lag than one that is a 50x50 pixel."

I had not built in a while and wasn't sure if I was remembering the correct dimensions. I was hoping someone had a good link for this info. I couldn't find it. I had to dig in an old forum post.

optimum text sizes and panel sizes 7 years 11 months ago #414

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 630
The Cyberix3D Editor automatically converts the picture to the right dimensions before uploading it to the server so you don't have to concern about it.
The loading speed is determined by the number of elements in the scene and the file size of the textures and models.
JPG texture files will usually load faster than PNG because of the file size.
Textures size of 512x512 and below should load fast enough as long as you are using JPG files.
Regards,
Cyberix3D team

optimum text sizes and panel sizes 7 years 11 months ago #416

• HappyIntrovert
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for your reply. That is awesome.
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds