Remember me
You are here: HomeForumCyberix3D ForumGeneral DiscussionLevel-testing on New Grounds game-portal
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #512

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I created a preview of my unfinished shooter-level on the New Grounds to do some testing and the overall functionality of the level was not bad :)

www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1003734/preview

Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox

IE is the best choice for displaying the level at this moment. Mozilla is just behind because it took really long time for assets to load. You need to click few times on Restart button and even if everything loads there is still a 50% chance that the floor didn’t acquire collision so the player drops from the floor. Once everything loads the level is functioning great. But I guess this problem is related to downloading of assets from the servers, when stand-alone SWF export is done this will probably go away as an issue.

Chrome and Opera

Level loads fast and works great on both of them but the full-screen button doesn’t lock the mouse. So as far as the uploaded game is a shooter (with LMB as a fire-button) they are not usable.

I didn’t test on Edge.

So only two things are problematic at this time:

1. Downloading of assets from the servers in Mozilla.
2. Mouse-lock function not working in Chrome and Opera.
(3.)The mouse movement in fullscreen with working mouse-lock on is just a little bit strange, I think it’s because of the mouse-smoothing, if there was a way to turn the smoothing off this will not be noticeable.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #513

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 628
Hello and thank you for testing the SWF export on New Grounds.

As for the problems you found:
1. As you said, This problem should be resolved when the SWF full export will complete, But we will take a look and try to fix it anyway.

2. This is very strange because with the full IFrame link of New Grounds it works:
uploads.ungrounded.net/tmp/1003000/10037...lt%3Bdeleted%26gt%3B

Our solution for this is to add a new feature that will let you do the SWF full export with IFrame. That way we will host the exported SWF on our servers and because we are using Cloud Flare CDN for SWF and HTML files there shouldn't be a performance problem or any limit of bandwidth/player hits for the game.
That way you could also publish your game on Kongregate without a problem.

3. We already resolved this issue in the Beta version. We are using mouse smoothing based on your FPS. The more FPS you have the more mouse smoothing you get. Please check and tell us if it works fine on the Beta version:
gamemaker3d.com/editor/beta.html

Regards,
Cyebrix3D
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by cyberix3d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganderoleg

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #514

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, the NG IFrame link is working both in Chrome and in Opera. This is strange.

The SWF full export with Iframe sounds great but I’m not sure that I understand it :unsure:

The new options will be Full SWF (that will include all assets inside the SWF file that can be downloaded) and Iframe (that will export SWF file to Cloud and give you the Iframe code)?

I just tried the new beta-camera style, much, much better. No smoothing and the view stops instantly after the mouse-movement is done. Thank you for extremely good work.

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #515

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
The new options will be Full SWF (that will include all assets inside the SWF file that can be downloaded) and Iframe (that will export SWF file to Cloud and give you the Iframe code)?
Yes, We will host the SWF on the cloud for maximum performance and bandwidth.

I just tried the new beta-camera style, much, much better. No smoothing and the view stops instantly after the mouse-movement is done. Thank you for extremely good work.
Great :) if you have any more issues just let us know.
We want to thank you for paving the way for others that will want to publish their games on external sites in the future.

Regards,
Cyberix3D team

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #518

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for creating this great engine.

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #522

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
You are welcome :)

We have good news for you!

We have just tested the Mouse Lock on New Grounds and it is working when you uploads only the SWF inside the zip file and not the zip itself.

Here is a working example:
www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1006187/preview

The "Force Full Screen" is still not working on New Grounds but we will work it out.

Regards,
Cyberix3D team

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #523

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
This is great news :woohoo:
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Ganderoleg.

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #524

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Everything is functioning correctly, when I click on the full-screen button the level goes into full-screen and the mouse locks :)

The functionality is good when uploading only the SWF file and not the HTML file from the ZIP?

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #525

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
Yes, You should upload the SWF only and everything should work fine.

We have also managed to fix the "Force Full Screen" on New Grounds and now it works fine.

We have also resolved the Firefox loading problem, please try to export your game again and tell us if it works.

Here is a new example with "Force Full Screen", "Mouse Lock" and LMB on New Grounds:
www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1006280/preview

Regards,
Cyberix3D team

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #526

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
My level (compiled with new features) is now working great on Chrome, Opera and IE but there are still some issues with loading the assets on Mozilla (especially on first-time loading that can be simulated even after browser have cached the SWF through Incognito/Privat Mode).

EDIT: Key 'P' starts the level and RMB activates the LMB for shooting.

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #527

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
It looks amazing :) the game is running smoothly, the performances are great, and the controls feels good.

When we finish making the Gun example with an aiming target it will be much better. In order to do it, we need to add some features to the engine.

We found it a little bit difficult to defeat the enemies because the shooting is too slow compared to the enemies speed. Also, the shooting light is acting a little bit wired. But this is just an early demo and you are probably going to improve the gameplay and add some goals.

BTW, If you have Normal and Specular maps for your map textures, it will look much better.
Here is the forum thread for advanced texture:
www.gamemaker3d.com/forum/updates/104-advanced-texture
And here is a nice example from ViraX:
www.gamemaker3d.com/player?pid=0450246169

Regards,
Cyberix3D team

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #528

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for a great review of my level :) Everything is at about 50% of tweaking and building, especially around battles.

I am planning to use normal mapping at least for the gold-like textures, thank you for the links. Not sure how the normal maps will affect lighting, in the last 3D engine I used applying the normal map made lights not so distinguishable on textures.

The aiming target would be a great feature, the shooting would be much more precise :)

I'm not sure about what you mean concerning the shooting light, on my pc it's always at the bullet's position. Does it bugs-out not following the bullet or is it the design impression? If it's about design then it's not a problem because there are still few things left to be tweaked (when it hits enemies, when it hit walls..).

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #529

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
I am planning to use normal mapping at least for the gold-like textures, thank you for the links. Not sure how the normal maps will affect lighting, in the last 3D engine I used applying the normal map made lights not so distinguishable on textures.
If it is not distinguishable just leave it that way because the normal and specular maps are also affecting the performance on low specs computers. The map also looks amazing without it.
I'm not sure about what you mean concerning the shooting light, on my pc it's always at the bullet's position. Does it bugs-out not following the bullet or is it the design impression? If it's about design then it's not a problem because there are still few things left to be tweaked (when it hits enemies, when it hit walls..).
About the shooting light problem here is a screenshot:
1_2016-08-02.jpg

And here is the problem:
2_2016-08-02-2.jpg

It seems that the bullet is blocking the light in some way. If it's a bug please tell us and we will try to fix it.

Kepp up the good work :)
We think it's going to be an awesome game!

Regards,
Cyberix3D

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #530

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah, it does seem to cut-off the light :blink: I didn't pay much attention to it before, I am 99% sure it's not a bug but just the bullet model blocking it. I will tweak it once I get to the battle-effects part and if it does have anything to do with engine I will post the problem :)

I just tried the normal mapping, it works great in this engine and it does not affect the main light appearance. But I think I will consider the usage later on, it brings a sort of realistic approach that I didn't want for this game. Level should be a bit cartoon-like, not too much, not with the outlines and classic things, but it should have non-realistic feel. I would rather experiment further with the textures then with the advanced lighting :)

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #548

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
Hello Ganderoleg,
The SWF full export is now ready. You can test and see if it solves the Firefox loading issue in New Grounds.
To see if it's really the SWF full export and that you're not getting the old version from your browser cache, Plese make sure the exported SWF file is larger than 2MB.
Regards,
Cyebrix3D team

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #554

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you so much, this is the best news :woohoo:

I just returned from a short sea-side holiday and tested the new full SWF file: it's working great :) There are no download-time issues or partially loaded geometry problems on Mozilla anymore.

..there is a small thing with warning message on Mozilla (Shockwave flash may be busy...) but it's just for a couple of seconds and then the game loads. It could also be related to my computer specs since I'm not really using a cutting-edge machine :lol:

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #557

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
You're welcome and welcome back :)

We saw the browser freezing problem on the SWF you have exported and we did some investigation on it.

The problem is that you're using many .obj files and their loading is very CPU consuming because they need to be interpolated.

The solution is to use AWD files instead.

In order to save you time, We already converted all of your .obj models to .awd and all you have to do is:
1. Open your project
2. Press on "View Source"
3. Copy the source to some text editor
4. Replace all the .obj" to .awd"
5. Copy back the source to the Cyberix3D editor

Please tell us if it solves your problem.
When you finished, We can delete the unused .obj files from your account if you wish.

BTW, When you upload your updated SWF to New Grounds, Please make sure you give it a different name because if you give it the same name there is a chance that it will give you a cached version of the game and not the new one.

Regards,
Cyberix3D team

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #558

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
The conversion to AWD seem to have worked, the loading was almost as fast as on Chrome and there were no warning messages :woohoo:

Thank you so much for converting the OBJ files, I'm sure that took some time, I hope you didn't have too much trouble with it.

It would be great if you could delete the OBJ's, it's now somewhat confusing searching through the editor-files and I have all the original MDL7's and OBJ's on my PC if I should need them for some reason :)

Just a few questions for future reference:

1. Is it generally better to use AWD and not OBJ format in Cyberix3D for non-animated objects?

2. In the original level setup I had rooms sliced into room-parts by texture (each room had from 5 to 6 parts using a single texture). After that I also sliced all parts that had over 3000 faces into even smaller parts so that they have less then 1500 faces each. Is this a good tactic? Should I maintain geometry to be under 1500 faces per object or is it better to have smaller number of objects and higher number of faces?

3. I never worked with AWD but it seems that my (experimental) exports (with Away Builder) all had embedded textures. Should I try to export AWD files without textures in the future and is that even possible?

Thank you again for your hard work on the engine and for your assistance with my level and geometry :)

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #559

• cyberix3d
  • Administrator
You're welcome.

We have deleted the duplicated obj files. There are some obj files that we didn't convert. We took only the obj files that were on the SWF you exported.
1. Is it generally better to use AWD and not OBJ format in Cyberix3D for non-animated objects?
Yes, because AWD files are ready to use on Cyberix3D engine and do not need to be parsed. it also takes less size and makes the loading faster.
2. In the original level setup I had rooms sliced into room-parts by texture (each room had from 5 to 6 parts using a single texture). After that I also sliced all parts that had over 3000 faces into even smaller parts so that they have less then 1500 faces each. Is this a good tactic? Should I maintain geometry to be under 1500 faces per object or is it better to have smaller number of objects and higher number of faces?
Slicing the rooms by texture is good because you can then share the same textures on different objects.
We don't know for sure if slicing the objects to 1500 faces each will increase performance. On one hand, all the objects that you don't see in the Camera frustum will not be rendered but on the other hand, the engine will have more objects to deal with. The best answer is to try both approaches and check the results. We will add a "Show FPS" and statistic soon, so you could check it for yourself.
3. I never worked with AWD but it seems that my (experimental) exports (with Away Builder) all had embedded textures. Should I try to export AWD files without textures in the future and is that even possible?
Embedded textures are not best practice because you are losing the benefit of sharing the same textures on different objects unless you are using one big object for the entire level, but that way you can't manipulate your submodels, nor implement PVS (Potential Visibility Set) architecture for your scene.
Maybe in the future, we will find a way to manipulate submodels and then it will be best to use one big model with embedded texture for the entire scene.
Thank you again for your hard work on the engine and for your assistance with my level and geometry :)
You're welcome. We are glad to help and we think that your project is innovative!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ViraX, Ganderoleg

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 7 years 8 months ago #560

• Ganderoleg
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for removing the obj models from editor-files, it's now much easier to browse through :)

Level-testing on New Grounds game-portal 2 years 2 months ago #2996

guys how do i modify the Restart button in my fps game, PLS HELP
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds